Tuesday 15 November 2011

A good day for birds. (part one)

Today I went to the wildfowl and wetland trust in Llanelli.  I wanted to go for the whole day and spend time in the hides and to hopefully see some birds I hadn't seen yet, and I wasn't disappointed!
 I felt like a bit of a phoney amongst the full-time twitchers especially when I saw the first one and his camera lens made mine look like Barbies camera ( and his was by no means the biggest of the day). 
There are so many birds I wasn't able to get good pictures of, including a kingfisher, which I just missed and TWO Ravens. 
I was worried I wouldn't be able to identify a Raven if I was ever lucky enough to see one, but when it came to it, there was no mistaking them, they are huge!
So, here are my photos from my day.

New kid on the block

 Mandarin ducks

   Bewick's Swan                        Green winged Teal

I don't know what this little fella is (apart from cute)

Barrows Goldeneye

Grey Heron
This handsome fella was my lunch date. As I sat down to eat in the observatory, this big boy landed just in front of me for a beak full of fish. ( Its a bit blurry because there was a big bit of glass separating us.)

Mallard Chick (aww)



                                       Ferruginous Duck                      possibly a juvenile Goldeneye

juvenile Ruddy Duck
                                                                                                 Red-crested Pochard
I am not sure what duck this is. I wish I did, it is beautiful.

These two did not like me. I can't figure out what they are either, I am assuming they both belong to the goose family, which explains a lot, as I find them a very grumpy, violent family. 
I am a rubbish twitcher at the moment, but I will improve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment